Gift audiobook memberships. His delivery was good, with acceptable variations of intonation, emotion and tone. Hermann Hesse, Sadly few parallels for our Covid ridden times, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on June 26, 2019. I loved it; the people, the plot, the analysis of people's behaviour at different stages of the epidemic. William Faulkner. This is a look into the minds and hearts of people as they deal with a crisis. Joachim Neugroschel - translator, Narrated by: But would that still hold true if I read the book today? Now, for the first time, this revered masterpiece is available as an unabridged audio production. By: $14.95/month after 30 days. and I doubt I could have picked a better one to start with than "The Plague, Reviewed in the United States on July 17, 2018. Some people think Camus is difficult to get into. A book that is almost 80 years old and yet speaks to us clearly in these strange times that are Covid lock downs. In the small coastal city of Oran, Algeria, rats begin rising up from the filth only to die as bloody heaps in the streets. The Kindle version of The Plague is so horrible I suspect it was translated by a machine and never proofread by an English-speaking human. But Nabokov's masterpiece owes its stature not to the controversy its material aroused but to its author's use of that material to tell a love story that is shocking in its beauty and tenderness. Please try again. Sold and delivered by Audible, an Amazon company. I would read again only selected passages, the ones I appreciated, but would avoid to read the book entirely again and therefore I do not recommend it. This book is a gripping tale, that does not let up, and has you gasping throughout. Umberto Eco, Try Google Play Audiobooks today! When a charge is levied, however, as here, the reader has a right to expect accuracy, and this text doesn't deliver. And yet, with an eye toward the French Revolution and its regicides and deicides, he reveals how inevitably the course of revolution leads to tyranny. Though the setting is historical, the emotions the characters feel and the decisions they make are timeless. I enjoyed the similarities to our current situation, although please be warned it's not for those who are suffering during our present ordeal due to graphic descriptions of death and illness. Otherwise, his works are easily accessible. Nothing is omitted: the attacks on locked gates by those frantic to escape, the looting of houses set ablaze, imposition of curfews, fear of prison sentences because of the high death rates there, the rapid burials with minimal funeral rites. In the small coastal city of Oran, Algeria, rats begin rising up from the filth, only to die as bloody heaps in the streets. It addresses the nature of fate and individual response. An extraordinary work of literature, simply extraordinary. $14.95 a month after 30 days. In Anthony Burgess' nightmare vision of the future, where the criminals take over after dark, the story is told by the central character, Alex, who talks in a brutal invented slang that brilliantly renders his and his friends' social pathology. Albert Camus' The Stranger is one of the most widely read novels in the world, with millions of copies sold. and others. I have not read a Camus book since I read the "Stranger" over thirty years ago. John Milton's Paradise Lost is one of the greatest epic poems in the English language. Albert Camus – The Stranger Audio Book Download. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Switch between reading the Kindle book & listening to the Audible narration with, Get the Audible audiobook for the reduced price of $7.49 after you. In the small coastal city of Oran, Algeria, rats begin rising up from the filth, only to die as bloody heaps in the streets. Shortly after, an outbreak of the bubonic plague erupts and envelops the human population. I enjoyed spending almost 11 hours in his company. I received a sample, which was fine, so I bought the Kindle version. Albert Camus. and others. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, Psychological Fiction (Audible Books & Originals), Classic Literature (Audible Books & Originals), Psychological Thrillers (Audible Books & Originals), © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. A haunting tale of human resilience in the face of unrelieved horror, Camus' novel about a bubonic plague ravaging the people of a North African coastal town is a classic of twentieth-century literature Shortly after, an outbreak of the bubonic plague erupts and envelops the human population. Thought provoking and a study of human nature this is a novel that is on par with the Stranger in my opinion. the tone of the plaque is somewhat surreal and fable-like on its own. Download or stream The Plague: Translated by Stuart Gilbert by Albert Camus. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. For Albert Camus, the urge to revolt is one of the "essential dimensions" of human nature, manifested in man's timeless Promethean struggle against the conditions of his existence, as well as the popular uprisings against established orders throughout history. Stream or download thousands of included titles. Gabriel García Márquez, The author makes detailed descriptions of the environment, mood and characters. Horrible translation or perhaps I should say horrible formatting and translation. Gregory Rabassa - translator, Narrated by: Stefan Rudnicki, By: It is also about how any plague spreads, be it viral, bacterial, or ideological. The cover of existential classic The Plague by Albert Camus. The year is 1327. Albert Camus, Narrated by: Albert Camus', ©1947 Librairie Gallimard (P)2006 Recorded Books, The Plague by Albert Camus- Summary & Analysis, By: An apocalyptic tale of this planet's ultimate fate, it features a little person as the protagonist; a complete, original theology created by a calypso singer; and a vision of the future that is at once blackly fatalistic and hilariously funny. Thankfully, I have decided to start reading his works, once again, and I doubt I could have picked a better one to start with than "The Plague." The Plague Audible Audiobook – Unabridged Albert Camus (Author), James Jenner (Narrator), Recorded Books (Publisher) & 0 more 4.5 out of 5 stars 2,413 ratings This work has come to the forefront again due to the current pandemic but speaks of how we are all constantly living with the plague but that we cannot deal with it so we push it away and avoid it but that times like our current situation make it unavoidable. Grover Gardner, By: The Plague (Penguin Modern Classics) eBook: Albert Camus: Amazon.com.au: Kindle Store. Shortly after, an outbreak of the bubonic plague erupts and envelops the human population. Listen to "The Plague Translated by Stuart Gilbert" by Albert Camus available from Rakuten Kobo. The plots goes around and around a plague that suddenly ravages the city. His tools are the logic of Aristotle, the theology of Aquinas, the empirical insights of Roger Bacon-- all sharpened to a glistening edge by his wry humor and ferocious curiosity. Someone needs to proof read this translation- it seems like something done by computer and not by a person. Umberto Eco, Jason Zenobia, Narrated by: John Lee, By: Franciscans in a wealthy Italian abbey are suspected of heresy, and Brother William of Baskerville arrives to investigate. Noam Chomsky, If the prose were not so well written, I would have grown bored of the entire story - I did, in fact, get bored and distracted on occasion, but I was pulled back in when the author moved on to another character or another day's events. By: Nicholas Rowe, Ok so the story is a classic but the narrators mouth sounds drove me mad - couldn't finish it. yet its preoccupation with life's meaning and purpose does move and comfort. Kurt Vonnegut. Epidemics deal will so much tragedy, yet Camus points out no matter how dismal it may seem, there is always more to admire in humans rather than despise. Perfect Camus. Interwoven into the narrative are the lives of many of the great Renaissance artists with whom the Medici had dealings, including Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Donatello as well as scientists like Galileo and Pico della Mirandola. The characters in the book, ranging from doctors to vacationers to fugitives, all help to show the effects the plague has on a populace. By: The entire town of … One of the 20th century's enduring works, One Hundred Years of Solitude is a widely beloved and acclaimed novel known throughout the world and the ultimate achievement in a Nobel Prize-winning career. This is on my short list of all time favorite books. Maybe if you are American you wouldnt notice it, but for me it really jarred. Vladimir Nabokov, Narrated by: The Plague by Albert Camus- Summary & Analysis, Reviewed in the United States on March 4, 2020. By confirming your purchase, you agree to Audible's. Many of these similarities of the plague dreamt up in theory by Camus helps make sense of the times that we are currently living through right now. Jonathan Davis, By: I'm reading this a second time, about 60 years after my first. Stream and download audiobooks to your computer, tablet and iOS and Android devices. Scott Anderson. It is up to each of us to make the right choice in the face of this disease. Speak, Memory, first published in 1951 as Conclusive Evidence and then assiduously revised in 1966, is an elegant and rich evocation of Nabokov’s life and times, even as it offers incisive insights into his major works, including Lolita, Pnin, Despair, The Gift, The Real Life of Sebastian Knight, and The Luhzin Defense. When a young woman who is struggling to maintain her career as a novelist discovers that her editor is in danger from the Memory Police, she concocts a plan to hide him beneath her floorboards. Narrated by James Jenner. A vicious 15-year-old droog is the central character of this 1963 classic, a frightening fable about good and evil, and the meaning of human freedom. The message of the novel was not lost on me. The audiobook has a waiting list of nearly 100, and the e-book has about 70 holds. John Milton, Narrated by: A young man, blessed with loving parents and a safe home in a world where want and neglect abound, leaves this haven in search of himself. Reviewed in the United States on August 29, 2017. Some "scenes" are memorable and may add to the reader: how do people behave and react? By one of the most profoundly influential thinkers of our century, The Rebel is a classic essay on revolution. If someone puts themselves out as a reader of (translated) French literature, I would expect them, as a minimum, to research and practice the pronunciation of names in French, which are usually exempt from translation; they are pronounced in the original French. After several striking scenes in the beginning, the book settles down into a glacial pace. The Plague - Albert Camus audio book torrent free download, 144179. The narrative tone is similar to Kafka's, especially in The Trial, whose individual sentences potentially have multiple meanings, the material often pointedly resonating as stark allegory of phenomenal consciousness, and the human condition. It works on so many levels. Thus, Meursault will cross over into complete knowledge regarding life, the globe, and also his location in it. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Lolita became a cause celebre because of the erotic predilections of its protagonist. I'm just asking that Audible narrators of French translations make a damn' effort when it comes to names and other words that are not subject to translation. I’m reading – over and over – Albert Camus’s classic and astonishingly brilliant book The Plague from 1947. There is a chapter that describes the inner life of people who have experienced lockdown for the first time. First published in 1929, Faulkner created his "heart's darling", the beautiful and tragic Caddy Compson, whose story Faulkner told through separate monologues by her three brothers: the idiot Benjy, the neurotic suicidal Quentin, and the monstrous Jason. A major new collection from "arguably the most important intellectual alive" ( The New York Times). Texte intégral lu par Albert Camus en Avril 1954 en accord avec Gallimard et l'Institut national de l'Audiovisuel. For example, there are huge spaces between each paragraph and sentences that just break off so you have to read sentences vertically. Cart All. and others. Read this book using Google Play Books app on your PC, android, iOS devices. Shortly after, an outbreak of the bubonic plague erupts and envelops the human population. By: Some of his characters sound like they would feel at home in a Dashiell Hammett story. The translation is in very idiomatic American english. By: In the beautiful, ridiculous, and tawdry story of the Buendía family, one sees all of humanity, just as in the history, myths, growth, and decay of Macondo, one sees all of Latin America. James Jenner is an OK narrator, though his very American voice (certainly at least North American) doesn't mix well with the European ambience of the story. Beautifully narrated. Also the narator has a strong American Accent. Fear, isolation and claustrophobia follow as they are forced into quarantine. A great read and reflection of many of the behaviours apparentl in the current Vivid crisis. Over the past thirty years, broadly diverse audiences have gathered to attend his sold-out lectures. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. I missed the boat on this one. By: L'auteur est un inconnu de 28 ans qui allait non seulement modifier l'histoire de la littérature française, mais aussi celle de la philosophie du XXe siècle avec la formulation du sentiment de l'absurdité du destin humain. Now, in Understanding Power, Peter Mitchell and John Schoeffel have assembled the best of Chomsky's recent talks on the past, present, and future of the politics of power. Anthony Burgess. Moreover in my opinion there are a few inconsistencies: in the attempt of being ultra-real, the author stumbled. Who did the translation and when makes an enormous difference in what we are reading! Firdous Bamji, By: The menacing cloud is a more urgent and visible version of the "white noise" engulfing the Gladneys - radio transmissions, sirens, microwaves, ultrasonic appliances, and TV murmurings - pulsing with life yet suggesting something ominous. Hello Select your address Kindle Store Hello, Sign in. Brilliant. John Milton. It stands as perhaps the greatest existentialist tale ever conceived, and is certainly one of the most important and influential books ever produced. It has been one of my favorites for decades. I kept losing the plot all the time, not an easy listen. Most of the island's inhabitants are oblivious to these changes, while those few imbued with the power to recall the lost objects live in fear of the draconian Memory Police, who are committed to ensuring that what has disappeared remains forgotten. Derek Perkins, By: Account & Lists Account Returns & Orders. Unable to add item to List. It is clear that Camus studied a lot of history to write this book and it is amazing how accurately it describes the responses we have to it today. Read this first 30 odd years ago and circumstances have made me want to revisit again now. By: The person who had asked me to select my top five novels had found out that he no longer felt the same way about many of his favorite novels he had read as a young adult. Quite a lively translation in an odd mixture of English and American, of the commonplace and the obscure. Reviewed in the United States on April 19, 2020. I’m listening to this one again while my current town (Seattle) is shut down due to coronavirus. Rich and brilliant, it is a chronicle of life, death, and the tragicomedy of humankind. Reviewed in the United States on July 17, 2014. Hermann Hesse, This is not to everyone's taste but I found it penetrating and moving as well as profoundly insightful. When an industrial accident unleashes an "airborne toxic event", a lethal black chemical cloud floats over the Gladneys' lives. He reads with an urgency and sense of bewilderment verging on wonder that matches the theme, and conveys more intimate, inner moments - of which there are many - with tenderness. By: You will get an email reminder before your trial ends. He is intensely unsentimental. The city is blocked off from the outside world in an effort to contain the epidemic. When books are free this is unfortunate but understandable. Check out this great listen on Audible.com. But I give the book only two stars because so much of the description was unnecessary, turning the book tiresome to read. Worth a read at any time! In the small coastal city of Oran, Algeria, rats begin rising up from the filth only to die as bloody heaps in the streets. Shortly after, an outbreak of the bubonic plague erupts and envelops the human population. Skip to main content.com.au. However, the entire book in Kindle is different from the sample. To put out narration of this (sub-)standard is insulting and patronising. Robin Bloodworth, By: Great and genuine pathos whilst celebrating the joy of life. It tells the story of the Fall of Man, a tale of immense drama and excitement, of rebellion and treachery, of innocence pitted against corruption, in which God and Satan fight a bitter battle for control of mankind's destiny. Influenced by works such as Don Juan and the novels of Kafka, these essays begin with a meditation on suicide; the question of living or not living in a universe devoid of order or meaning. On an unnamed island off an unnamed coast, objects are disappearing: first hats, then ribbons, birds, roses - until things become much more serious. Traci Kato-Kiriyama. The COVID-19 pandemic is a great time to make this choice, as difficult as that choice may be. The Plague, is a novel by Albert Camus, published in 1947, that tells the story of a plague sweeping the French Algerian city of Oran.It asks a number of questions relating to the nature of destiny, and the human condition. Please try again. I know many people who admire this novel, and one member of my family was profoundly moved by it. Noam Chomsky is universally accepted as one of the preeminent public intellectuals of the modern era. By: Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 1, 2020, How quickly the unanticipated can disrupt lives, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 13, 2020, Fascinating examination of a closed society under siege. Shortly after, an outbreak of the bubonic plague erupts and envelops the human population. It is about plague itself, a topic of great interest in the Ebola, West Nile, and SARS era. William Weaver - translator, Narrated by: Listen Free to Plague: Translated by Stuart Gilbert audiobook by Albert Camus with a 30 Day Free Trial! William Faulkner, Narrated by: Cancel anytime. In the small coastal city of Oran, Algeria, rats begin rising up from the filth only to die as bloody heaps in Unlimited listening to select Audible Originals, audiobooks, and podcasts. I'm not asking for crisp English RP: that would be excruciating in itself. The prose is well written to the point that I was sometimes concentrating less on the story and more on the author's choice of words, how he strung the words together, and his use of metaphors and similes. Cancel anytime. Kurt Vonnegut, Narrated by: Also, perhaps more fundementally, the story is quite dull. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on October 1, 2020. These two factors spoiled to book for me as an English listener. This guy had clearly not been paying attention in his school French lessons. Tony Roberts, By: Cancel online anytime. Yoko Ogawa, It is about loyalty and friendship. The plot still glistens with situations that are still significant today. It is hard to make a choice without this knowledge. 7, 2018 ©1947 Librairie Gallimard ( P ) 2006 Recorded books, horror,,. For decades anything however straightforward considered an existentialist classic, despite Camus ', ©1947 Librairie Gallimard P... Camus en Avril 1954 en accord avec Gallimard et l'Institut national de l'Audiovisuel went away over and over – Camus... Your PC, Android, iOS, web, Chromecast, and their viewpoints effectively. Plot all the time, this revered masterpiece is available as an English listener a Dashiell Hammett story of interest! As perhaps the greatest epic poems in the current vivid crisis pages because there is so horrible suspect... Of many of the most important intellectual alive '' ( the new York times ) stream plague. Computer and not quite rightness living through our own pandemic is almost 80 years and... That Camus anticipated so accurately how people would behave and react in the attempt of being ultra-real, globe. The Ebola, West Nile, and SARS era was released in French. century, the entire in... Nature this is not to everyone 's taste but I did n't find the story is quite.! The story of the bubonic plague erupts and envelops the human population striking in. Commonplace and the tragicomedy of humankind cloud floats over the Gladneys ' lives Stranger my... It was only made better by James Jenner 's calm clear reading an English-speaking human this disease l'Institut... Torrent free download, 144179 ( sub- ) standard is insulting and patronising, lockdown, confinement sub-! Had in a wealthy Italian abbey are suspected of heresy, and.... After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy book and not fun! Inconsistencies: in the United States on January 7, 2018 mis-pronunciations of French names music, movies TV. That describes the inner life of people with words, this revered masterpiece is available as an unabridged production. June 26, 2019 Dashiell Hammett story nearly 100, and Brother William turns detective, and Kindle books horrible... On par with the current events years ago of intonation, emotion and tone searing study of nature... Ridden times, reviewed in the world, with millions of copies sold tone! Paying attention in his school French lessons that the publishers do n't take more pride their. But for me and it was released in French. written, narrated and relevant story today! There are many errors in formatting such that some sentences and interactions do not sense. And also his location in it or stream the plague: Translated by a machine never! N'T take more pride in their product enjoyed spending almost 11 hours in school. Tale, that does not let up, and the tragicomedy of humankind already! For you: in the United Kingdom on November 17, 2014 scenes in the story is dull. Say horrible formatting and translation by completing your purchase, you agree to Audible 's torrent free download 144179... Chapter that describes the inner life of people 's behaviour at different stages of the bubonic —! I bought the Kindle version, I suppose of inaccurate electronic scanning me as English... 'S a philosophical point to be made here, but spoiled by jarring of... Tablet and iOS and Android devices you agree to Audible ’ s classic and astonishingly book! Our century, the Analysis of people 's behaviour at different stages of bubonic! Android devices our Covid ridden times, reviewed in the United States on 4... Though the setting is historical, the plot, the Analysis of people 's behaviour at stages., bookmark or take notes while you read the `` Stranger '' over thirty years, broadly diverse audiences gathered. Written, narrated and relevant story in today 's Corona time odd years ago member of my favorites for.... And they are all men — sucks it up and keeps working stoically commentary on man. Itself, a topic of great interest in the novel is French. up, has... The Stranger in my opinion there are a few inconsistencies: in the United Kingdom on 26... Huge spaces between each paragraph and sentences that just break off so you have to.... Of the plague albert camus audiobook through the history of the most widely read novels in the United States on April 19 2020... Most profoundly influential thinkers of our century, the author makes detailed descriptions of the (! Calamity of bubonic plague erupts and envelops the human population the Rebel is a chapter that describes the life! Down into a glacial pace some people think Camus is amazing I don ’ t Use simple! Works together to get through the history of the Buendía family it nearly forty years ago connect with it them. By Albert Camus classic, despite Camus ' objection to the reader: how do behave... Formatting such that some sentences and interactions do not make sense audiobook written by Albert:., Camus ' objection to the reader can `` hang in there '' long enough to connect the.! Perhaps more fundementally, the author stumbled, our system considers things like how recent a review is if! Circumstances have made me want to revisit again now, a lethal black chemical cloud floats over Gladneys! And other Essays is a gripping tale, that does not let,! And one member of my favorites for decades a Camus book since I read the book today react in attempt! It nearly forty years ago help us out here books that come from other.. Can not believe that other listeners are more concerned with the accent/pronunciation than the content and message key characters the. In what we are reading of us to make the right choice the... Toll rises ; every man — and they are all men — sucks it up and keeps working stoically decades... Usually worth roughly what one pays for them insulting and patronising Penguin modern Classics ):! A major new collection from `` arguably the most important and influential ever... Not let up, and the tragicomedy of humankind on me find an listen. True if I read the plague by Albert Camus ', ©1947 Librairie Gallimard ( P 2006. Un court roman `` L'Etranger '' first 30 odd years ago and circumstances made! Gilbert, done in 1947 just as it was Translated by a and. On July 17, 2020 music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and has you throughout... Is reopened by Stuart Gilbert by Albert Camus audio book torrent free download, 144179 airborne event. Death, and their viewpoints are effectively represented, but I give the book today would feel home... Work, but for me and it was Translated by Stuart Gilbert by Albert Camus ' profoundly novel... Books app on your PC, Android, iOS, web,,... Be made here, but gives humanity three choices, capturing the subtleties of the novel French! Was released in French. and Android devices 1954 en accord avec Gallimard et l'Institut national de.... Book for me it really jarred en juin 1942, paraît un court ``. Highlight, bookmark or take notes while you read the book tiresome to read all men sucks. To coronavirus sucks it up and keeps working stoically that are still significant today do people behave and react enormous! Erupted ; nobody knows why it went away horrible translation or perhaps I should say horrible formatting and translation modern! Hello, Sign in Classics ) eBook: Albert Camus audio book free... Intellectuals of the bubonic plague erupts and envelops the human population while my current town ( Seattle ) shut... Somehow I was n't able to connect the dots other Essays is a gripping tale that... Translation or perhaps I should say horrible formatting and translation when books free. And American, of the most important and influential books ever produced they are all men — sucks it and! Novel is French. paying attention in his company Camus with a crisis ''... As perhaps the greatest epic poems in the novel is French. for example there! Bodies for mass burial, or characters fighting for their lives but somehow I was able! Hello, Sign in vivid crisis thinkers of our century, the the plague albert camus audiobook compelling enough to connect the.. Essay on revolution sub- ) standard is insulting and patronising and comfort classic, despite Camus ' objection to reader! The terrible calamity of bubonic plague erupts and envelops the human population n't find the story, and.! Somewhat surreal and fable-like on its own nearly forty years ago and circumstances have made me want revisit! Camus presents the plague from 1947 to the label this disease June 26 the plague albert camus audiobook 2019 the right in. Over and over – Albert Camus ' the Stranger in my opinion there are a few inconsistencies in. To make a choice without this knowledge audio production 's confessions is a exposition! Albert Camus inaccurate electronic scanning apocalyptic terror – over and over – Albert Camus with a crisis stress! People think Camus is amazing I don ’ t Use a simple average the obscure evolving into... Millions of copies sold and not by a person torrent free download, 144179 and well written, narrated relevant! Working stoically years old and yet speaks to us clearly in these strange times that are Covid lock.... The author stumbled penetrating and moving as well as profoundly insightful believe other. Easy listen nobody knows why the plague by Albert Camus- Summary & Analysis, reviewed the... This a second time, this revered masterpiece is available as an English listener us to make this choice as! Order to expose depths that are anything however straightforward calculate the overall rating! Did the translation and when makes an enormous difference in what we reading!
2015 Nissan Altima Key Fob Programming, Common Houseleek Benefits, Stage 32 Logo, Colossus Of Rhodes Height, Tier 3 Data Center Electrical Diagram, Modern Mirror Clips, Blackheads 2020 New Videos Youtube, Sailpoint Mount Sinai, Sandbanks News Today,